Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Melancholy Mood

The problem with finding paradise is that ultimately, you have to leave paradise. Although I was invited to live at Tetamanu village and be the resident ukelele rockstar, along with a marriage proposal from Silas - complete with the gift of a black pearl that signified our engagement - I knew that I could not stay in south Fakarava forever, although a part of me would like to. Our three month visa for French Polynesia is coming closer to expiring every day, and there is so much more to see. Yes, I am pretty sure that marrying a French Polynesian would give me citizenship so I could stay here forever, but... well... I am young and am not ready to settle down. Flattering nonetheless.

The day before we left south Fakarava, William taught me how to paddle an outrigger canoe. Whereas I would not want to cross a large body of water in one, they are fast and fun! I am going native. Later that night Silas and William came out to the boat to play music and hang out. They were very impressed with our GPS system - they said we were like the Mafia or the secret police. Dad showed them their homes on Google Earth and they were blown away. It is a pretty cool perspective that as of yet most people in the world have not seen. We drank Hinano beer and played music late into the night and we were all sad to depart.

Making new friends made me realize how acutely I miss my friends. My San Diego homies, my Santa Cruz buddies, my Punta de Mita amigos and the wonderful people I have met on my travels, yes, I miss you all. Not to say that I am not making friends with the people here, obviously I am (when there are friends to me made). But, there are a few small issues with the friends I make here: 1. the locals I make friends with I spend a few days with and then will probably never see again; 2. the cruisers I make friends with all have their own itineraries, speeds, and destinations so it is hard to keep track of each other; and 3. most of the cruisers out here are a solid 30 years older than me. Granted, there are some young people out here, but they are few and far between. Basically, what I am saying is that I do not have a companion with my same interests in activities.

Am I complaining? Maybe a bit. But even in the most beautiful places in the world that many people only dream of visiting, even with the bill footed and every comfort imaginable (on a sailboat), its not all peaches and cream. I think the tropics have kind of a bipolar atmosphere - one minute it will be bright and sunny and calm and the next minute it will be pouring rain, windy, and (almost) cold. Feelings here can be the same way - sometimes I get swallowed up in the beauty and majesty of this place, other times I just want to be away from it. But I guess we all feel that way sometimes, regardless of where we are. C'est la vie.

It's funny. I consider myself to be pretty salty. I have crossed the Pacific Ocean a few times, cruised Mexico quite a bit, am (almost) six months out en route to New Zealand, and have been sailing my whole life. Then we meet these people who have been cruising for ten years with no destination or plan to stop any time soon. They tell stories about sailing up the Gambier river in Africa and having to watch out for hippos and baboons and crocodiles in the anchorages. They tell stories of sailing around the Cape of Good Hope and Tierra del Fuego, Easter Island and Robinson Crusoe Island. Mexico? Ha! The kiddie pool. And of course they have been here before, and were kind enough to take us to their favorite snorkeling places where we saw morey eels and lion fish. I had only seen lion fish in an aquarium before, but they are much cooler in the wild - dangerous and exotic. Look, but don't touch.
-----
At 5/28/2011 9:15 PM (utc) Rutea's position was 15°48.18'S 146°09.13'W

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment