Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

164 Miles to Go

We are currently underway to Samoa from Suwarrow. I am going to try to complain about passages as little as possible (which is why this post will be brief). Really, it has not been too bad - just a "short" 450 mile hop from Suwarrow to Pago Pago, American Samoa. The worst part, by far, was (and typically is) leaving Suwarrow. It is probable that I will never go back there again, considering how remote it is, although I loved it very much. It is also probable that I will never see the Rarotongan rangers, James and John - who I became very good friends with - again, although I will run into Yachties friends made along the was in Samoa, Tonga and New Zealand. This keeps my spirits up.

I am not sure what to expect of American Samoa. It is an American territory so people speak English (as well as Samoan) and sending packages there is no different than sending one to anywhere else in the U.S. Anybody want to send me a burrito?? I have heard there is McDonalds there, but I guess they are everywhere... maybe Subway or Starbucks? I could go for a Mocha Frappucino right now. There is allegedly good internet in Pago Pago which is very exciting. There is also supposed to be good surf and a national park that rivals Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. I'll report back on my findings.

I feel like we are coming up on our last leg of the journey before heading to New Zealand. This morning I was looking at the charts and we are only 1,500 miles from the north island. Pretty exciting - especially considering we have already sailed some 8,000 miles. And after we get to Samoa we will have short hops (1 or 2 days sailing) down south until we are ready to shove off for NZ sometime in October (the dreaded 1,000 mile passage of very rough water - uggggg).

But for now the ocean and wind are calm; the bright pale blue sky and the electric kool-aid blue of the water surround us 360 degrees. All is well aboard S/V Rutea, and will be even better when we arrive in Pago Pago tomorrow.
-----
At 8/4/2011 9:15 PM (utc) Rutea's position was 13°58.19'S 168°21.84'W

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment