Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Friday, January 13, 2012

And We're Off!

Finally! After nearly two weeks of (somewhat) hard work, we are heading out to the islands! Don't get me wrong, Port Denarau has been great. But I didn't come to Fiji to sit at dock for months.

Last night we had one last hurrah at Cardo's, saying our goodbyes to all the friends we have made. It was actually pretty easy to say adios to everybody because after a few weeks in the islands we are coming back here, for better or for worse.

I am super stoked to get out to the islands - particularly the Lau group. In all honesty I do not know that much about the group yet, only that it is an extremely remote and pristine part of Fiji. I doubt there will be much in the way of internet out there, but I will try to keep you updated as much as possible.

One minor update: we have had a slight change of crew as Diane left the boat a few days ago. Now it will just be the five of us cruising around which, in all honesty, will make things a lot more relaxed.

Last night Rob went over the charts with Sean and pointed out all sorts of cool surf spots with good anchorages. From what it sounds like, this is going to be an epic trip.

Not that I want to jinx us or anything, but I hope this beautiful weather holds. Not only is it the rainy season but also cyclone season, and last night when I was talking with Cardo about the Lau group he told me that the Lau group is always hit the hardest by cyclones. But, he said, there has not been a major cyclone in over eight years, so "the water will be bluer than blue and the mountains will be greener than green." I can't wait. And with modern technology we will not be surprised by any weather.

Ok! I have to get back to work. The painters are touching up the job they did yesterday as we pack up all the crap that has been laying around on the dock for the past few months. It is no easy feat to get this boat prepped for passage, but I'm on it.

'Til next time: peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment