Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Reconciliations

Its 4:30 a.m. and I can't sleep because the boat is rolling so much while we are anchored here at Punta de Mita. Really, I just want the sun to come up so I can go surf these swells that are rocking the boat, but that won't happen for another 2.5 hours, so I have some time to kill.

I have come to realize that there are some serious reconciliations to be made between surfing and sailing. Surfers and sailors want exact opposite conditions: surfers want big swells and no wind, while sailors want flat seas and lots of wind. Surfers want wide open beaches and reefs, or points with lots of swell refraction, while sailors want protected coves. I have been aware of this for quite some time, as for the past six or so years I am stoked when a big swell comes in with no wind, while my dad is not; thus a constant battle for natural states which we have absolutely no control over.

Alas, living and traveling on a boat while still maintaining my identity and passion as a surfer is taking some reconciliation. It has always been a dream to anchor off that perfect point break and wake up to waves peeling in through the bay. But what, might I ask, is the point of a dream if you can't sleep?

Although Punta de Mita is not a "perfect" point break, I can look out my cabin porthole and see the waves breaking along the reef. This is awesome, don't get me wrong. It really is a dream come true, but right now, in complete honesty, I would be stoked to be sleeping on some solid ground that is not moving 24/7. Or at least be in a marina tied up at a dock.

Am I whining? I might be. And I am going to have to get over it, because when we make the crossing to French Polynesia we will be in the middle of the Pacific ocean for days; weeks; months, although hopefully for most of these months we will be anchored inside an atoll with perfect waves peeling through the reef pass. ;)

I must embrace the swells that gently (or not so gently) rock the boat, for these little monsters that keep me awake at night and make me seasick, are also a source of great joy in my life. And the wind that sometimes terrifies me is, 1. the source of these waves, and 2. the mode of energy that will enable me to arrive at my destination some 3,000 miles across the ocean. Thus, I think a change of attitude is in order. It is just tough when I can't sleep.



In other news, we had a very nice visit from my sister Caity and my brother-in-law-to-be Danny. We did lots of fun things (in my opinion, but maybe you should ask her) and it was sad to see them go. Mom, Dad and I were so depresses when they left that we decided to get out of La Cruz and go explore a bit. We went to Yelapa, a little village on the south side of the bay, which you can only access by boat. The hike to the waterfall was nice, but the frigid 65 degree water of said waterfall was enough to deter me from taking a swim in it (the sun was setting, I swear).

Because Yelapa is so small we felt that one night there was sufficient, and I now write to you from the anchorage at Punta de Mita (but you know that). I can hear and feel the swell filling in, and the adrenaline starting to flow in my veins does nothing to help me sleep. But its okay, because who needs to sleep when you live in a dream come true?


Hahahaha. I am sorry, that was so cheesy. But I couldn't resist...

1 comment:

  1. :D It's hard not to smile when reading these posts, Corie! And I love the cheese, keep it coming! Glad you hear you're living the dream :)

    ReplyDelete