Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Road Trippin' Pt.3


Sara and Annette taking Sydney by STORM.


Woohoo! Saw more sharks today! AND a bunch of sea turtles, including the biggest, gnarliest, oldest looking turtle I have ever seen.

Anyway, back in the FemPurr we made our way down to Sydney. We entered Sydney during rush hour and I had an absolute blast driving the massive machine through city streets and trying to park in a rather hilly part of Manly. Of course I made Manly our first stop when we got into Sydney as that is one of my favorite neighborhoods (and I knew the swell would be good). My friend Chris was nice enough to let the three of us crash at his house for a few nights, and we had a great time beating him, his housemate and all their Aussie friends at beerpong. Holding it down for Team America! (Who says we didn't learn anything useful in college?)

Walking around Sydney I felt like I had come home. I always love coming back to a city and knowing my way around -- or at least having a vague notion of where I am going. I was also excited to show Annette and Sara my favorite haunts of the past few months, and I like to think that they were impressed with my oh-so-extensive knowledge of where to go and what to do. Or course this involved surfing Manly and Bondi, getting drinks on Oxford street and getting extremely cheap (probably too cheap) sushi rolls at the train station.

We stayed with Chris for two nights and then with friends Sara and Annette made in Bali for another two nights. It never ceases to amaze me how people are willing to open their homes to complete strangers for a few days and treat them royally -- with trust and respect. I only hope to do the same in return when I have a home of my own someday.

Revisiting Sydney was great, particularly in that it gave me closure. I realized that while I love this city, I am done with it, for now anyway. After living there for three months I was a bit gutted to leave, but after visiting for another four days I acknowledged that I am ready to move on. That is always a good feeling when traveling.

This could also have something to do with the fact that my best friend from Sydney moved away in the time that I was gone, but he only moved a few hours south to Woollongong, so we decided to pay him a visit. The girls and I left Sydney and made the beautiful drive down to Woollongong on a bright, sunny afternoon. Parts of the drive reminded me of Big Sur and we stopped every five minutes or so for a photo op.


Photo Op!

In spite of the numerous photo stops the drive was short we arrived in 'The Gong' by lunchtime, but Alex didn't get off work until six so we had time to kill. Annette decided to treat Sara and myself to a ridiculously nice lunch at a swanky little beachside cafe. During lunch we laughed until we cried and everybody in the cafe probably thought we were stoned or drunk, or both, but we were genuinely just enjoying each others' company.

As this cafe was right on the beach I couldn't help but notice the pumping waves. It was big, but breaking far enough out that it didn't look thaaat big. I really wanted to surf, or at least paddle out, but the idea of surfing alone and after a massive meal was unappealing. After a while I decided that the feeling of defeat was more unappealing than getting smashed by a few waves, so I psyched myself up to paddle out.

I was so full of delicious food I almost couldn't get my wetsuit on (yes, I was that full and I also couldn't remember the last time I wore a full suit to surf). By the time I walked up to the shore I realized that yes, the waves were actually really freaking huge and I might puke if one landed on me. But you can't really suit up, walk down to the beach and then turn around and walk back to the car, so I paddled out. I only got smashed by one wave and although I hyper ventilated a bit, the paddle out was easy.

And then I saw it. A dark mass on the horizon, cresting way out the back. I started paddling for my life. Long. Slow. Deep. Breaths. Don't panic. Duck dive deep. Feel the mass of water move over me and crash onto the sand, shooting me out the back. Is there another one behind it? No? Ok, I can breathe.

Shit. I was in way over my head. That wave must have been ten foot. I looked around for a friendly face, somebody I could ask to keep an eye out for me. I paddled near one guy, "Pretty big, hey?" I said. "Ah, it was bigger this morning." He replied. Oh. Right then. Nevertheless, my adrenaline was pumping a mile a minute. I saw another set on the horizon and paddled towards it as fast as I could, doing all I could not to have a panic attack and start crying. Fortunately I made it over the set, paddling up up up over the faces and then dropping down the other sides. I guessed the waves were ten feet, but who is to say? Nobody else seemed too impressed...

When there seemed to be a lull I paddled as fast as I could in toward the beach. Forget catching a wave, I just wanted to live! Of course I made it into shore fine, and in retrospect the waves probably were not that big, but I came to the realization that I will never surf big waves. I don't want to surf big waves. I just want nice little peelers, maybe a barrel or two, but I also realized that I seriously need to step up my game when we get to Indonesia. We'll see how that goes.


Heya buddy, thanks for everything!!!

Anyway, back on land, Alex got off work so, after relating my near death experience to Sara and Annette, we headed to his house. It was great to see my old buddy, tell him just how gnarly the waves were, eat, drink and be merry. We played a rockus game of spoons in which if you lost you had to do a dare -- Alex had to do a headstand and eat a lime, Annette had to wash Sara's hair, Sara had to sing a song about a dog and I had to rap about 'The Gong'. We are silly, I know, but we had a great time.

Alex surprised us with coffee and muffins in the morning so we were well fortified for a surf adventure. We headed south to Kiama where Alex and I surfed Bombo beach. The waves were big but nothing compared to the previous day, so I felt quite brave as charged the six footers. All you need is a little desensitization, right?

Alas, once again it was time to go. Goodbyes were said, the FemPurr packed and off we went, headed for the deep freeze that is the south-eastern coast of Australia.
-----
At 5/5/2013 7:54 AM (utc) Rutea's position was 23°54.16'S 152°24.17'E

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment