Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

1000 Miles!

We have officially gone 1,000 miles this morning! And we have done it ALL under sail- no motoring!! Although this is not our half way point, it is still somewhat significant; if nothing else it boosts the spirits a bit. Our half way point is 1,338.5, which we expect to reach in a day or two. I was hoping that we would complete the jump in 18 days, but it looks like it is going to take more like 20. Meh, whatever. Its not like I have anything better to do... except maybe walk around a bit or something of the sort.

Yesterday I was thinking about what I am enjoying most about the passage. I decided that my favorite thing about being confined to a 50 foot space 24/7 is that, aside from trimming and changing sails, a bit of cooking and cleaning, I can be as lazy as I want. I can read, watch TV shows, sleep (weather permitting), or sit and stare at the ocean for hours and not feel the least bit guilty about it. In my other life (i.e. university life) I was essentially on-the-go all the time. Now I have all the time in the world to sit and think, daydream about crystal clear, perfectly peeling south pacific waves, and freak myself out when that rogue set appears on the horizon (in my daydreams, fortunately not in real life- so far).

Ironically, my favorite part about the passage is also my least favorite part. While normally I am very active, now I just eat and sit on my ass all day. Even cockpit yoga has stopped as downward dog is difficult and even dangerous when the boat is rolling at 15 degree angles. As much as I hate running it almost sounds nice for a change, although my legs are going to be Jello-esque by the time we reach land.

So, in complete contradiction to myself, I both love and hate this current passage. It is pretty cool to be crossing the single biggest feature on Earth using the power of the wind. It helps me to appreciate the immensity and beauty of our world, even though I can reach all of you with a few clicks of a button. Pretty damn cool if you ask me.
-----
At 3/29/2011 6:45 PM (utc) Rutea's position was 12°16.53'N 118°21.87'W

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Does the jello come with marshmallows? Congratulations on your progress! Keep clicking...

    ReplyDelete