Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 4/101

I am really craving a cheeseburger animal style from In-N-Out right now. If anybody airlifts me one, along with fries and a chocolate milkshake I will be their indentured servant for life (see coordinates below). But the food must be hot and fresh and the milkshake still frozen. A lifetime of servitude will not come easily from me.

Let's see. Day 4 of our passage, day 101 of the entire trip. How are things going? Well, not bad. We currently have 12.5 knots of wind and are cruising at a speed of 5.8 knots, seas of 4-6 feet, 76 degrees outside and partly cloudy skies. The wind is a bit light for my taste, as crossing the Pacific at about 6 MPH can be kind of painful. Only 2,156 miles left to go! ...I try not to think about it.

As for the other 97 days of travel in Mexico, they were freakin' sweet, as you know if you have read earlier posts of this blog.

Oh man, sorry, for the interruption but: Mom is trying to cook dinner right now. The seas are 4-6 feet. This means that the chicken she is cooking just sloshed out of the pan and all over the stove. You should have seen the omlette I made this morning. More of a scramble than an omlette. My arms are sore because I fall asleep holding on and wake up holding on. One hand for the boat always because you never know when you are going to take a roll, which is more likely sooner than later.

Ok, back to Mexico. I have ranted and raved about Mexico sufficiently, but I wanted to sum up my stay there. Perhaps it is because I grew up so close to the country and have spent quite a bit of time there, but Mexico is one of my favorite places in the world. The people are genuinely friendly; I walk down the streets to be smiled at and greeted with "hola amiga" (hello friend) by total strangers. People are generous with what they have, even if it is not much.

Aside from the Mexican people, I love Mexican food. Chilaquiles, enchiladas, chiles rellenos, pan dulce, fresh salsa, fresh tortillas, fresh fruit... Rich, creamy avacados and sweet, bright orange mangos, all for the cost of a few cents each. I remember a few weeks ago I decided I was sick of guacamole so I didn't eat it for a day. Then I got over my sickness. It's no surprise I got to be a bit of a chubster over the past 3 months! Fortunately, the passage diet - ramen noodles, potato chips, eggs, etc.- is going to help me slim down stat. Ha. But yeah, I could still go for that animal style cheeseburger right about now.

The one thing I did not mention in any of my posts about Mexico is what you probably hear most about: the insane, horrific drug war going on. While it is distressing and scary and totally bums me out, it really did not affect my stay in Mexico one bit. For the most part, Mexicans are unaffected (assuming they don't live in Cuidad Juarez of other battle zones). They are just trying to live their lives like everybody else. Their economy has certainly been hit hard by lack of tourism, but other than that, life goes on.

Right then. I am done with Mexico. For now. The next few weeks will be focused on the passage and getting to the Marquesas. Our coordinates are posted at the bottom of the page, so if you want you can put them into Google maps and see just how ridiculously in-the-middle-of-nowhere we are. At 5-6 MPH. Oh yeah.
-----
At 3/26/2011 9:08 PM (utc) Rutea's position was 15°59.43'N 112°45.12'W

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment