Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Greetings

Greetings from a very salty, smelly, crunchy, tired Schneider. In the past four days I have camped, had a birthday, sailed in a regatta, surfed, volunteered at a keiki sailing camp and have still not had a proper shower.


Camping was a blast. We packed up everything but the kitchen sink on Saturday morning, and headed out to Pinetrees beach where we set up to hang for the next three days. Monica had bought the permits to camp last summer, so it was serendipitous that we were able to camp at my favorite surf spot on the island for my birthday. A gaggle of other people, including no less than six other kids joined, so there was a party (and the occasional meltdown or two) from sun up til after sundown every day.


A rare quiet(ish) moment in the camp kitchen


For my birthday I made a pitcher of lilikoi margaritas - my dad’s famous recipe with a Hawaiian flair - that had all of us singing songs by the campfire way too late into the night. Ok, maybe until 11pm but that is late for camping. We were graced by a pod of humpback whales off the beach, a beautiful sunset and a lot of great friends, new and old.


The next morning the famous lilikoi margaritas had become infamous and everyone was convinced I had tried to kill them, but I clearly remember giving stark warnings: “you guys these are super strong. It’s like, basically all alcohol.” But they were so delicious nobody took me seriously.


Kona Sailing Club Opening Day Regatta with Alicia


The next day I had committed to sailing in the Opening Day regatta for the Kona Sailing Club. I am, after all, their newest member, and the harbor is conveniently located in the next bay over from Pinetrees, so I couldn’t bail. I dragged my throbbing head off the beach and down to the harbor where I tried my absolute best to be cheery and helpful and not rig the boat backwards or fall in the water. Fortunately, Alicia had someone else work the foredeck so I chilled at the helm most of the race. It was mercilessly hot and the wind was light, and by the time the second race came around I was cursing my decision making and commitment skills. By the grace of Pele, the windward mark had started to deflate and sink (rinkadink, I told you) so the race committee called off the second race. Alicia suggested we all jump in for a swim and I did not hesitate. On our way back into the harbor I saw a little tiger shark. 


After the Opening Day festivities, I headed back to the campsite where I came across the whole bunch, plus many more kids, celebrating Monica’s niece’s eleventh birthday. I didn’t have much left in the tank so I made myself scarce for most of the evening. I was excited to go to bed and finally as the camp quieted down and the tweenagers stopped giggling and went to sleep, the sky opened up and torrential, tropical rain fell on our ill prepared camp. It never rains at Pinetrees, said Monica. Ha ha.


It didn’t help that I had put the rain fly on inside out so my tent was funneling water inside instead of shedding it, but everyone’s tents got absolutely flooded. I grabbed my sleeping roll and dove into my car (gotta love the hatchback) and slept there (more or less) all night. Everyone had their means to get through the night but nobody slept very well.


Fortunately, the beach is so hot that by mid morning on Monday everything had dried out. We spent the day surfing, hanging on the beach, playing with the babies, fishing, whale watching, soaking sea urchin riddled keiki feet in vinegar, eating food, drinking beers and jamming on the guitar. It was a mellow day and night, and no torrential rain storms, which was a good thing because I had committed to volunteering at the sailing camp today.


Kona Sailing Camp


Now, I envisioned myself sitting in the motor boat yelling at kids to pull in their main sheet, but this morning I got a text from Alicia asking if I would sail in a boat with a kid because someone didn’t show up. Sure. Oh and it’s capsize day today. Wonderful.


I spent the last six hours with 8 kids, who were all delightful and mostly happy to be there; helping them rig boats, get their life jackets on, launch boats, sail for three hours, land boats, de rig, wash sails and life jackets, and now I’m really tired. I treated myself to a beer and late lunch at the Harbor House, and it’s happy hour so a beer is $3.75, which fits into my current budget. I might have another one before I go. Or I might just crawl under the bar and take a nap.


2 comments:

  1. Great blog post, Cork! You described everything so well I felt like I was there - except for the hangover!

    ReplyDelete