Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Time

If you’ve spent time in the tropics, then you know that time floats by like a soft, warm breeze – almost imperceptible unless you really stop to think about it. Granted, this perception comes from the standpoint of the fun, old “retired” auntie, with nothing better to do than meander around, sightseeing, reading books and playing with the kids. 

For Monica and Ryan things are a little different, juggling their jobs, kids and farm; they never feel like there is enough time in a day. But they also go super hard. After working all week last week, Monica got home from work on Friday and cooked up a storm for Mahina’s first birthday party. On Saturday morning we were all packed and in the car for a beach day at 7:30 AM, and spent the entire day at the beach. The next morning they were all in the car at 7:45 AM ready for Sunday morning yoga down at the beach. I opted to stay in my cozy bed and drink coffee. Sorry flexibility, I’ll get to you someday.



But truly, it is an absolute gift to have this time, and I’m grateful for every moment. What would you do with 3-4 days a week of no commitments on a paradisiacal island? Although I am perfectly happy hanging around the farm harvesting huge stalks of bananas and papayas, throwing the ball for the dog and giving the chickens food scraps, I do want to explore all sides of the island. That said, I’m not the best at going out and doing things on my own (but getting better!), and the jungle kind of freaks me out (scary bugs and wild pigs!), so my exploration has sort of followed the path of my normal hobbies.


I recently joined the Kona Sailing Club, which is a rinkadink hodgepodge of small boats, but it will be a fun way to get on the water, make new friends, and explore the Kona coast line. They also recruited me to volunteer for the keiki sailing camp during spring break next week. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes. I’ve been spending time exploring the local beaches, and on Monday watched Humpback whales breach right off shore – Hawaiian fireworks as Monica calls it – while everyone on the beach cheered. 


I also reached out to a few friends that have moved to the Islands over the years, and had a nice dinner with David and Kris, who gave me the insider intel on the gay scene in Kona, which isn’t quite as hopping as Hillcrest, but at least there is one. In any case, it was nice to feel like I have friends here aside from Monica and Ryan, who are very welcoming and inclusive, but would also understandably like some solo time with their family.


The good thing about this majestic island is that you don’t have to go too far to find incredibly beautiful and interesting places around here. A five minute drive down the mountain from the farm is Kealakekua bay, which was settled by Hawaiians over 1,000 years ago, where Captain Cook was killed in 1779, and is now a historical state park and marine preserve, with excellent snorkeling, kayaking and whale watching. If you love a good Wikipedia rabbit hole, you can explore more about Kealakekua bay here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kealakekua_Bay. And this is all just down the road. There are equally mind blowing nooks and crannies and bays and beaches and valleys and mountains all over this island. 


Being in Hawaii is like time traveling, not only because the days float by, but because I can experience billions of years while star and galaxy gazing as I pee outside at 3 AM, millions of years of geologic and natural history pondering the fact that I’m living on the side of the active volcano Mauna Loa, a thousand years of human history, and then play with a toddler, for whom every day is an eternity and every kabooma (fall) is a calamity. 


But really, I’ve been enjoying being Auntie Corie more than any other aspect of my time here. The kids are exhausting but sweet. Inevitably whenever I sit down to write, Bodhi Kai knocks on my screen door asking me to read him a book, and who could say no to that? Yesterday we made smoothies with fresh fruit from the farm, which he calls “poonies.” A few days ago there was a huge, dead, flying cockroach in the kitchen that was being eaten by ants, so we had a discussion about the circle of life. I had to pull the dog, Captain, off a wild chicken that he had cornered and was trying to eat (alive), and bag up a rooster that he and a mongoose had killed together. Whenever I walk in the door Mahina gives me a huge smile and crawls over to be picked up and hugged. She has taken a few steps on her own and is about to walk any day now. It truly is a special time.


No comments:

Post a Comment