Adventures

I created this blog back in 2010 with the hopes that you, my friend, would follow me as I (figuratively) sailed around the world. Now I hope to keep you entertained with silly anecdotes, whimsical stories, cutting analysis and random thoughts on the world, while traveling hither and thither. P.S. All material on this blog, words and photos alike, are copyrighted by me. Copyright 2022. If you decide that this material is worth re-publishing, please give me credit and lots and lots of money.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Whales and internet

Today I am really wishing I had a surf buddy on board. While it is thrilling to be in the water with whales, dolphins and seals, they do not make best companions. Dolphins rode the bow while we sailed today and kept us entertained for a few hours of sailing, and there are two California Gray whales hanging out at the entrance of the lagoon we are anchored by. Whereas these animals are freaking awesome to watch, swimming/surfing with them, alone, in a remote part of Baja, is scary.

We are currently in San Quintin right now, sitting at the mouth of a big lagoon surrounded by dormant volcanoes. The moon is nearly full, the smell of dinner cooking in the galley is making me hungry, we just took a roll and something fell (we couldn't anchor in the lagoon where the water is calmer because it is too shallow), and the ipod is playing eccentric but excellent music.

There is not much around here, just a little fishing village, if you want to call a few shacks and pongas on the beach a village. Now you might ask, in such a remote place how does one have access to the internet? Banda Ancha, an awesome gadget that fits right into my computer, communicates with the internet gods (through the cell service Movistar) and allows me to blog, to you, from the middle of nowhere. Cool, huh?

Perhaps I will be able to post more often, as now all I need is cell service! And it is incredible that there is cell service here, but hey, welcome to the 21st century.

1 comment:

  1. Core- Doug is surfing with you in spirit and I wish I could be paddling around those whales and dolphins. Not so much those big scary male sea lions though! We are enjoying the blog posts - keep them coming via the magical Internet interface thingie!

    ReplyDelete